Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Nationals & Youth Nationals by Ashley Stoddart


Well both the Nationals and Youth Nationals are over and a new year of preparations will begin. It has been a great year, producing satisfying results considering the circumstances.

The Australian Laser Nationals for 2009 at Adelaide Sailing Club was an excellent regatta with a mixed bag of conditions and great depth within the 95 competitors. In the qualifying series I had extremely consistent results over the different conditions. I then had a reasonably satisfying final series in such a hot fleet also. By the end of the regatta I finished 17th overall and was the 11th Australian. Placing 2nd Australian Women and 1st Youth Women has meant my qualification for the Radial Women’s Worlds and Radial Youth Worlds which are to be held in Largs, Scotland later in July this year.

The OAMPS Insurance Brokers Australian Youth Championship was raced out of Largs Bay Sailing Club, turning out to be an interesting regatta where I didn’t race as well as I would have liked. Ultimately it was not my year to win the position for the Radial girl at the Youth Worlds in Turkey. However I am able to compete against the Open Women instead, which should enable an equally positive experience.

With my preparation being restricted due to my back injury I am very pleased with the summer I have had. My back has handled both regattas successfully. I look forward to what adventures this year will bring and I am excited for the improvements to be made to my sailing.


Thank you to my support team, who have helped me with my sailing and got me through the tough few months it has been with my back.