Sunday, May 30, 2010

Congratulations Tom Slingsby!


The Delta Lloyd regatta marked successfully the return to international competition of Australian world champions.

Tom Slingsby has dominated the Laser fleet in the Dutch event and takes Gold after an epic medal race. Positions changed regularly with the light and shifty wind; disqualifications given by the jury for excessive kinetics added to the drama and were decisive in the overall results. Lukka Radelic collected his second disqualification and had to retire from the race. Javier Hernandez (ESP) loses the lead of the Medal race and the Silver medal on the last run after collecting his first 'yellow' flag. The Spaniard will have to settle for Bronze leaving the Silver for Matias Del Solar (CHI).

'With these conditions I had decided to play it safe. I was worried to get flagged as well,' explains Slingsby. 'I like the conditions in Medemblik. I always sail well here. It's my favourite spot.'