Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ashley Stoddart - 2010 Laser Radial Womens Worlds Report

Worlds is complete after only 6 races out of 12 races scheduled. In the training beforehand we probably had the best run of wind, where the breeze was continuous- making some great training. The regatta started with similar conditions, however the second half of the regatta became more of a wait for wind, either to ease or fill into the bay. Where the final two days did not get any racing completed.

The first day was raced in the most even breeze of about 15-18 knots, even though it was raced in an offshore breeze, basically unavoidable in the race area mostly surrounded by land. This was my best race where I placed 3rd, after rounding the top and bottom marks in 1st in front of Olympic Gold Medallist- Anna Tunnicliffe. Between races proved Scotland's ability to turn on the cold. Both feet were numb, it was freezing. With skies clearing and winds having swung 90 degrees between races, as winds eased throughout the second race, the racing became more difficult as the waves were still relatively big and sloppy. I found myself rounding the top mark 5th after holding my lane following a good start, and then putting together a good upwind. However, I lost boats evenly on the next downwind and upwind, finishing 24th.

The second day, the 10th was my toughest day. The racing area was placed quite close to one of the hilliest shorelines, with the winds light and shifty, and the waves choppy. Both fleets completed 2 races. My first race of the day was basically ruined by a poor start, and with difficult conditions made it hard to catch up, I finished 40th. Then the following race had a good start and was in a good lane, but took a tack out to the left and found it hard to come back from there, my result yo-yoing a little bit, but finishing 50th. This was most probably my most painful day on the scoreboard and was the difference between making Gold fleet.

The last day of the qualifying races started out with a long wait, until we were allowed on the water for a 4pm start. This postponement was the result of too much wind on the course area. However by the time we were sent out the wind had eased significantly as predicted and we ended up sailing in about 7-10kts. My start was good and after some tough racing, I finished in 32nd. Unfortunately in the end, I missed out on Gold Fleet qualification by
6 points. In this situation it can be quite easy to look back and think if I had just gained a boat in each of the races, but that obviously doesn't change anything.
The one and only race of the finals was raced in a breeze which shifted 180 degrees throughout the course of the entire race. The wind varied in pressure, where I placed 19th in the silver fleet.
The 13th had 3 races scheduled and some waiting on shore before hitting the water, anticipating to start a race. We then spent about 5 hours waiting under a big, black stationary cloud, before the racing was finally abandoned due to a total glass-out. Although, ironically wind came in from the south-east just as we approached the club on tow. Yet racing could not be held because the wrong postponement flag was hoisted on the water, even though it was 4 o'clock with sunlight permitting more racing. Again, the race committee endeavoured to catch up on the 14th, however wild winds did not allow this to happen even after waiting until the 4pm warning signal limit, according to the sailing instructions.

So even though the regatta lacked some racing and my final results in the individual races was not particularly flash, especially on the 3rd day of racing, the regatta has certainly exposed me to the level I can reach, while also being very encouraging towards the training I can do to reach that level. It has definitely clearly shown the areas of my sailing which is strong and helping to mix it up with the worlds best, as well as the weaknesses that have disadvantaged me over the course of the regatta. This will help to move forward as an Open competitive sailor.
However my focus is now on the next regatta, where I am currently preparing for the Laser Radial Youth Worlds which are also to be held in Largs, Scotland. The racing starts on the 20th of July with 12 races scheduled.
Hope Australia is treating you to warm weather, will keep you up dated on the next regatta.
Kind Regards,
Ashley Stoddart
Member of the Australian Sailing Development Squad Laser Radial