Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Krystal Weir Update


Hi Everyone,

I am now back in Australia after three months in Europe. Overall it was a pretty successful tour, with a 4th in Scheveningen Week, 5th Holland Regatta, 6th Kiel Regatta.

My last event was the World Championships in Largs, Scotland where I finished in the back of the Gold fleet. It was a tough event and probably one of those regattas you look back on and learn a lot from. The event was running over 6 days but we were only able to get in proper racing on the first 3 days. This teaches you how important the first few races of a regatta can be.

Quick Run down Worlds 2010
Largs, Scotland was a very frontal venue that either had loads of wind or none at all. Race One I retired from the race after I had an unfortunate incident with a Swedish girl and race two I was coming 6th and lost 6 boats on the beat to the finish…tough start. Day two proved to be better where I posted an 8th in very tricky light air conditions, race two was a 25th after coming back from a 45th top mark rounding. Day Three I was coming 6th and heading out to the left hand side where a big persistent right hander put me back into 28th position…another tough break. Day Four “Gold Fleet Day” I started badly and found myself rounding well back in the fleet, the wind switched 180* with a big cloud overcoming the course. I just couldnt find the right path back through the fleet and finished 55th. This last result had to count which put me right down the leader board.

I am now reviewing my program, back on the water and hitting the gym before I head back to the UK for the “Sail For Gold Regatta” which is in the Olympic Venue for 2012. It will be a great opportunity to find out as much info as possible.

Thankyou to Renske DeHass, Kampen Family, Evans Family, AIS crew in Varese Italy, Julian & Hamilton, YA, Ian at Sydney University Sport, David at Tudor Insurance and Fletch my coach for all your support this trip.

Looking forward to fighting my way back to the top.

Cheers
Krystal

--
Krystal Weir
Member of the Australian Sailing Team
Laser Radial